The JVC DLA-Z1/RS4500 is a mixed bag. It impresses with comparatively superior performance in some respects only to disappoint with respect to others. Whether overall one considers that what is intended to be the new flagship projector delivers an acceptable minimum quality standard of video performance for its price tag of £35,000 we will present the salient facts and let you draw your own conclusions.
THX CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL VIDEO CALIBRATION (BY US) | EQUIPMENT USED:
- Colorimetry Research CR-300 0.8nm Spectroradiometer
- Klein K10-A Tristimulus Colorimeter
- SpectraCal C6-HDR Colorimeter
- AEMC CA813 Illuminance Meter
- Murideo SIX-G 4K HDR Reference Pattern Generator
- CEM DT-805 Sound Level Meter
- MSI TITAN X HTPC
- ChromaPure 3 Professional THX Edition
SCREEN & ENVIRONMENT:
3.8 metres / 12.5 feet wide projection screen, with Seymour Screen Excellence Enlightor PRO Screen Material, within blacked-out room:
● Excellent out-of-the-box performance as compared with calibrated
● Razor sharp image due to superior lenses and associated hardware
● Superb colour performance and accuracy
● Laser dimming feature perceivably significantly enhances the contrast and black levels
● Initial firmware is very good indeed with comparatively very few issues, bugs, and/or malfunctions that need ironing out with subsequent firmware updates
● Disappointing native ON/OFF Contrast that is less than forecast by JVC, ranging from circa minimum 9,000:1 (with iris fully open) to maximum 40,000:1 (with iris fully closed)
● Disappointing calibrated light output that is less than forecast by JVC, with maximum circa 2,500 lumens (Rec.709) and 1,460 lumens (DCI-P3)
● Laser dimming feature performance inconsistent and problematic (Mode 2 particularly).
● Over 40% reduction in brightness output with BT.2020 colour filter.
● Prone to running hot and when it does the fans switch to 'turbo' mode and the operating noise hits the roof. MAXIMUM operating noise (when running hot): HIGH LASER [Max 70dB / 1m 63dB / 2m 56dB] | MEDIUM LASER [Max 63dB / 1m 57dB / 2m 54dB] | LOW LASER [Max 56dB / 1m 54dB / 2m 51dB]. That said, operating noise is easily remedied and becomes a non-issue via simply installing the projector into an air conditioned hush box/projection booth or outside the room.
● Outperformed in all respects with DCI-P3 colour, bar resolution, by 'lesser' models JVC DLA-X7500 (£6,100 RRP) and JVC DLA-X9500 (£9,100 RRP). Where with respect to resolution the difference is not significantly perceivably different being native 4K versus eShift 4K.
PRE & POST CALIBRATION MEASUREMENTS:
GAMMA: (Calibrated to just below 2.4 with deliberate curve toward 2.5 at low end to help compensate for low contrast performance)
CCT D65 ACCURACY: